Have you ever caved to your dog’s begging eyes and reached for a yummy morsel of food from your plate to share with her? I would love to say that I only feed my dog food and treats that are wholesome and healthy, but even I have caved – I admit it! (Well, with four sets of eyes, you can imagine!) There is the occasional plain corn chip that falls the floor that I ignore while Ricky hoovers it up. And, we always share the juice out of our canned tuna and chicken – both of which are healthy as long as they don’t have added sodium.
However, there are treats that we need to avoid feeding to our pack because they are toxic. Here is a list of foods that can be toxic to dogs:
- Peppers – Ornamental and all hot varieties
- Macadamia nuts
- Alcoholic beverages
- Xylitol (Artificial Sweetener) can be found in candy
- Tomato leaves and stems (green parts)
This information was gathered from several sources including the Humane Society of the United States. This is not an extensive list, but rather some of the more common things you might find yourself tempted to share with your dog.
Another thing that causes problems in foods, even dog foods, is food coloring dyes. I spoke with a woman today whose dog was bothered by the dye in sausage pet treats or Vienna sausages. The red dye was literally coming out of her dog’s eyes in the form of red tears and even the skin around her nail beds was pink from the dye. The dog itched and scratched until she removed the colored food and treats from the dog’s diet.
For more information about what to do if your dog does eat one of the items on this list or if there is something else about their behavior and food that you might to be worried about, check out the AAHA Healthy Pet Website.
What is the weirdest thing your dog has ever eaten? Mine are always partial to my favorite high heels…Tell me your story – contact us!